Forum

#1 2016-12-13 17:30:48

soz

shader compiler

is their a shader compiler (.sl) installed with guerilla render? or did we install the shader.exe of renderman?
I just wan't to try to learn a little bit of script shading.

Tristan

#2 2016-12-13 22:39:35

Ben
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Re: shader compiler

Hi Soz,

The shader compiler is intergrated into Guerilla, no need to compile the shader.
You can notice that when you open up a fresh Guerilla, the first render takes a bit of time to kick in, that's because Guerilla compiles the shaders at that moment.

Moreover, the compiler does shader optimizations by stripping unnecessary chunks of code. For instance, you may have a very complicated shader, just like the Surface shader. But in most conditions, there are a lot of code that are not needed, such as all the Glass bits when only dealing with a simple diffuse. So the compiler removes this automatically.

If you're going into shader dev, I advise that you stick to procedurals. Lighting shaders (such as Surface) are waaaay more difficult to do, even the simplest diffuse can easily become hard to make.

You can learn more by having a look at the shaders and shader nodes from the library. A good part of them are written in SL inside SL boxes, and could be a good starting point to figure out what they do.

Cheers!
Ben

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer
http://www.guerillarender.com

#3 2016-12-15 09:43:10

soz

thx Ben ! I'll try to do that !
can I put my SL files to the userplugin path?

Tristan

#4 2016-12-15 21:58:20

Ben
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Hi,

Use a SL Box, in a shading network, that's the simplest way.
If you want to share SL code, you must put it in the library/SL/startup directory. SL files are sourced at startup, and the SL functions will be available in your SL boxes.

Ben

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer
http://www.guerillarender.com

#5 2016-12-16 12:18:54

soz

je suis desolé mais je ma fais en français cette fois : mais c'est au top !!!! ça a l'air de marcher du tonnerre !!!
Merci !
Tristan

Tristan

Board footer