Forum

#1 2016-04-25 17:59:38

How can I tweak the shadow setting?

Hello,

I'm currently learning Guerilla render and I was wondering where can I tweak the shadow setting? I know there's the ray lengh and sampling, but other than that, I can't find anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas

#2 2016-04-25 21:39:52

Narann

Re: How can I tweak the shadow setting?

Hello!

What you want? I'm curious. smile

#3 2016-04-26 00:16:09

Gam

What do you mean about "tweak the shadow" on a path tracer renderer ?

#4 2016-04-26 17:35:45

Hi Narann and Gam,

what I want to controls the softness of shadow edges and I was wondering if there's any option about that?

#5 2016-04-26 18:46:25

stringer

Hi Nicolas,

This is done by modifying the size of the light.
You can do it by using the Size X and Size Y parameters of the light. The larger the light source, the softer the shadows.
This works for Square, Disc and Sphere lights.
You can also modify the size of the light directly in the viewport by selecting the light and using the gizmos.

Guillaume 'Stringer' Potier
Guerilla developer
http://www.mercs-eng.com

#6 2016-04-26 20:55:31

I've tested it out and it's like you've said. I had this mentality of lighting with area light in maya (If you scale, the intensity get higher). Well that's good too know now, thank you very much stringer!

#7 2016-04-27 11:41:25

aristide

Hi Nicolas,

The area light behavior you are talking about is possible in Guerilla too, it is just disabled by default.

The parameter Light/Absolute does exactly that. When On (default setting) the size of the area light has no effect on its intensity, but if you set it to Off, then it will behave just like what you are used to in Maya.

#8 2016-04-28 00:02:42

Gam

Nicolas Tremblay :

I've tested it out and it's like you've said. I had this mentality of lighting with area light in maya (If you scale, the intensity get higher). Well that's good too know now, thank you very much stringer!

Keep in mind Maya is NOT physically accurate, if you use Arnold You'll see the same behaviour with light like Guerilla smile

Last edited by Gam (2016-04-28 02:46:58)

#9 2016-04-29 17:10:48

Aristide:

You are totally right! It does like you've said. Thanks for the info : )

Gam:

What do you mean by not physically accurate? Like the setting are not made to be the most realistic and more to fake the realistic effect? Either way, I didn't know Arnold was like guerilla! Do you know if renderman is the same? : )

Board footer