Forum

#1 2016-05-05 15:31:43

SSS in Guerilla Render.

Hello,

so here I'm working on a project and I need to use to SSS shader, but here's the problem; I don't really understand how it work. As I said in my previous topic, I normally use maya and so, mental ray as well.

In maya, I'm making my own SSS map in photoshop(Epi, Sub, Back), and I wanted to do the same for guerilla, but in guerilla there only the layer system with color. So my guess is that the red color(first layer) is the blood(Back Scatter), the green(Second layer) is the muscles(Subdermal) and the grey(third) is the skin(Epidermal). It's just a guess, so if someone can confirm this for me, it would be really appreciated!

During, my time trying to figure out the SSS, I noticed that if you put the width of just one layer, the coloration disappear and I only see my specular. Then after that I'd try to only activate the width of one layer and boost

http://postimg.org/image/h6t214hhd/

In this picture, I've boost the weight at 1k for the first layer(Just wanted to see what it will do) and I've done the same for the second layer alone and the third alone, however, it does all the same effect and affect the same area(Nose, ears and under chin). So I'm really wondering if I can use my maps to get the details I want or do I need to integrate my SSS maps in my principal colo and  let the SSS by default.

Anyway, thank you in advance!

Last edited by Nicolas Tremblay (2016-05-05 15:32:44)

#2 2016-05-06 23:54:54

Narann

Re: SSS in Guerilla Render.

You seems to be right, putting the any layer width to 0 actually black everything.

Bug?

#3 2016-05-07 04:03:23

Gam

Hi

It's quite simple, pick up the skin preset in the rendergraph, connect your albedo to the diffuse. Set the SSS to 0.7 to keep at least 30% of diffuse contribution. It's helpfull to avoid waxy result with a gaussian model.

The 1st width is the global scatter depending of the unit scale and your model. A human should be around 0.06 - 0.08

At this stage you should have a good base.

#4 2016-05-07 04:05:08

Gam

Hi

It's quite simple, pick up the skin preset in the rendergraph, connect your albedo to the diffuse. Set the SSS to 0.7 to keep at least 30% of diffuse contribution. It's helpfull to avoid waxy result with a gaussian model.

The 1st width is the global scatter depending of the unit scale and your model. A human should be around 0.06 - 0.08

#5 2016-05-07 04:05:33

Gam

Nicolas Tremblay :

Hello,

so here I'm working on a project and I need to use to SSS shader, but here's the problem; I don't really understand how it work. As I said in my previous topic, I normally use maya and so, mental ray as well.

In maya, I'm making my own SSS map in photoshop(Epi, Sub, Back), and I wanted to do the same for guerilla, but in guerilla there only the layer system with color. So my guess is that the red color(first layer) is the blood(Back Scatter), the green(Second layer) is the muscles(Subdermal) and the grey(third) is the skin(Epidermal). It's just a guess, so if someone can confirm this for me, it would be really appreciated!

During, my time trying to figure out the SSS, I noticed that if you put the width of just one layer, the coloration disappear and I only see my specular. Then after that I'd try to only activate the width of one layer and boost

http://postimg.org/image/h6t214hhd/

In this picture, I've boost the weight at 1k for the first layer(Just wanted to see what it will do) and I've done the same for the second layer alone and the third alone, however, it does all the same effect and affect the same area(Nose, ears and under chin). So I'm really wondering if I can use my maps to get the details I want or do I need to integrate my SSS maps in my principal colo and  let the SSS by default.

Anyway, thank you in advance!

Hi

#6 2016-05-07 15:20:39

Gam

Hi

Have you tried the skin preset ? Connect the diffuse, set the amount of SSS to 0.7

#7 2016-05-09 15:00:32

Gam:

Oh ok, thanks for those informations!

If I've done three map for the SSS, do I drop them or do I add them into my albedo?Like my back scatter map have details like vein. At first I thought I could add each map(back scatter, subdermal, epidermal) into each layer, but I don't think it work like that in guerilla and I wanted to have confirmation about that : )

Narann:

I just really didn't thought the SSS would be like this in Guerilla, I thought I could put my three SSS map that I've done in each layer, but I don't get any result. Was I right when I said if I need to add those three map in my albedo?

#8 2016-05-09 16:11:55

hulud
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Nicolas,

Check this video, it's a quite simple workflow, you only need the diffuse map and you get a better result than usual 3 map setup :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarDkvqXo_c

You can still put maps in the SSS Layers 1/2/3 colors like you did before.

If you want to control the blend of the layers yourself (more difficult) then uncheck the "SSS -> Norm. Layers Colors" and set the Diffuse Color to white. You will have the exact blend of the SSS by your maps. But it is more difficult to control.

Cyril

Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier
Guerilla developer
http://www.mercs-eng.com

#9 2016-05-09 16:24:36

hulud
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Another thing, make sure your geometry is not back side flipped. In that case, the SSS won't work correctly. Disable the "Geometry -> Double Sided" attribute and check the geometry is correctly oriented in Guerilla.

Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier
Guerilla developer
http://www.mercs-eng.com

Board footer