Forum

• Index
  •  » Tips & Tricks
  •  » Documentation for Obj sequence and .rib frm Daz Studio / Carrara

#1 2015-06-14 16:14:21

DADA_universe

Documentation for Obj sequence and .rib frm Daz Studio / Carrara

Hello, new user here, and an eager one too.

While Guerilla seems better geared for an alembic workflow at the moment, please is there any possibility of getting support and documentation for working with .rib files or with sequenced obj files for animation generated from Daz Studio or Carrara, those being the tools I use? There is no clear workflow or tutorial for using .rib even though the website says this is supported. Daz Studio can create .rib files and though it can export to alembic format, an extra plugin needs to be purchased for that and even at that, the alembic output is problematic. Sequenced obj files (Carrara can create these with the help of a plugin) are animations exported as Obj files (1 obj per frame I think), since Guerilla works well with Obj files, it should be possible for it to read Obj sequences as well. It would be helpful if documentation can be created around these options, especially as it would open Guerilla up to a wider user base.

Many thanks.

#2 2015-06-15 15:08:54

Ben
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Re: Documentation for Obj sequence and .rib frm Daz Studio / Carrara

Hi,

It is possible to use rib files, you have to create a RibBox primitive, and set the RibBox path to your rib animation (replace the frame number by $f or $0xf for 0-padded frame numbers, for instance 0001 -> $04f.) Depending on the format of the rib file, you may have to check/uncheck the 'Read as scene' attribute of the rib box.
Using rib files, you'll get quite a limited feature set, as Guerilla considers a rib box as a single object. So ribs are useful for very specific cases (like integrating massive or rib based DSOs.)

You should be able to use animated objs by replacing the frame number in the geometry path of the objects by %04d (for 4 digits) and check the 'B' button on the Geometry attribute, but obj format is very very inefficient and will be very problematic in the end.

So, as much as possible, stick to the Alembic workflow.
Alternatively, if you can import your animation into Maya, you may use our Maya to Guerilla export plugin, which is fairly close to Alembic.

Cheers,
Ben

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer
http://www.guerillarender.com

#3 2015-07-07 03:25:21

DADA_universe

Re: Documentation for Obj sequence and .rib frm Daz Studio / Carrara

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will test a bit more with rib files using your suggestions, but it does seem I'm restricted with Guerrilla if my tool is unable to export to the Alembic workflow. Please do share information when available on when an fbx pipeline will be built into Carrara.

Thanks again and best wishes.

• Index
  •  » Tips & Tricks
  •  » Documentation for Obj sequence and .rib frm Daz Studio / Carrara

Board footer