Forum

#1 2017-03-08 20:52:12

bonovasitch

preview test render setup

If I have a particularly large scene file and I want to burrow into a subset of the shot what is the best way to go about this without performing a bunch of unnecessary calculations?

My scene is setup as follows,
-assets (.abc) are referenced in separately
-each asset has it's own render graph using the "Apply on" attribute set to "prefix". 
-The main render graph is basically the same as the default minus the shader node.

I replace the All tag with a tag specifying a subset of assets but there is still a very noticeable time delay before a render begins.  It seems like every rendergraph is being evaluated.  Moreover, the rib file includes data for every object in the scene.  Basically, I'm expecting to get the same response time I would get if I isolated the subset into it's own gproject. 

Is there anyway to do this?

I see the "Render selection" button in the viewport.  This seems to have no effect and there is no description in the docs as to what it should be doing.  The "Shading inspection" feature could be useful but from what I can tell it is more for examining parts of a shader.

#2 2017-03-08 21:55:48

Ben
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Re: preview test render setup

Hi,

You can use the SceneGraphNode > Prune attribute to trim entire parts of the scene. This attribute kills the scene traversal at that point, the object and its children won't ever be sent to the renderer.

Is it something that would help?

Ben

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer
http://www.guerillarender.com

#3 2017-03-08 21:56:37

Ben

Ho, this attribute is only available in 2.0, not 1.4, though.

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer

#4 2017-03-08 23:23:31

bonovasitch

I'll experiment with that attribute in v2.  It may be helpful but sounds like the inverse of what I'm looking for.  Can you suggest an elegant way to "prune all other"?  My initial attempts with overrides were unsuccessful,

Tag All ---------------------------------------------
Tag All except lights ---> pruned attr True --> override
Tag Subset --------------> pruned attr False --------------> override ---> resulted in all geo pruned

#5 2017-03-09 15:18:33

Ben

Ah I see.
In this case, pruning won't work because when pruning all except a subset will clearly prune the root nodes if they don't belong to the subset. And finding out which branches to keep in order to keep a subset of leaves will require traversing the whole tree.

Apart from hiding all and unhiding the subset, I don't see any simple trick to do that.
We'll try to find a simple solution for that.

Ben

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer

Board footer