Forum

#1 2017-09-26 22:11:15

red

Volumetric Skin

Hello !

Do you know how to make a volumetric skin ? Like an upgraded SSS, with volumetric inside the mesh ?
I guess it's a new technic used in recents projects and i heard we will be able to do that in GR 2.0

thx smile

#2 2017-09-26 22:31:26

Gam

Re: Volumetric Skin

Hi
Are you talking about interior scatter ?

#3 2017-09-26 22:47:21

red

Maybe, i dont know the name but yes it's like an interior scatter using volumetrics

#4 2017-09-30 02:40:07

Gam

ok you are talking about a volume/voxel like smoke or fire.
I'm talking about a density of a volume like a body.

You can achieve this within a refractive volume with smoke inside.
But there is no way to see something trough the density of a body.
The other volume have to be dense like flesh or bones and close to the skin.

#5 2017-12-09 11:37:49

Ben
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Hi,

Yes this is the idea.
You can consider a volumetric object like flesh as a surface which will be reflective AND refractive, and the internal of the object as a volumetric.
GR 2.0 does that, so you can have a Surface2 shader and a Volume2 shader in the same object. This effectively works, but this raises quite some things to work out:
* the refraction properties (IOR, roughness ...) are not so easy to tweak
* the volumetric properties (absorption, scattering and phase function asymmetry) are physical volumetric values that are quite difficult to map to a resulting color, especially if you intend to use a simple diffuse color map
* the internal volume of the object must be well defined, that is it must be a closed mesh, and all underlying layers (fat, muscles, bones) all have their individual volumetric properties.
* all these effects are VERY spectral by essence, and treating this with a rather simple rgb model is fairly limited

So, dealing with skin is quite difficult as a volumetric, though theorically possible, notably because our eye is very used to looking at skin, and you're very close to the dangerous uncanny valley.
Modelling other materials should be easier, though, since marble looks like marble with a quite margin ...

Ben

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer
http://www.guerillarender.com

Board footer