Forum

#1 2013-12-19 21:47:00

Mareck

Guerilla GPU ?

Hi all,

I'm new here and for the moment i've only open Guerilla once.
I'm used to Blender and Cycles and i want to learn an other renderer.
Cycles is nice but not complet and somehow slow, specialy for interior scenes (though i've got a gtx 580 3go)

So i have some question about Guerilla:

Is GPU rendering planned for it?

For people who know Cycles, what are the + and - compare to cycles?
(quality, speed, compatibility with blender, support of features like volumetric...)

Thanks

Edit: i've started to watch Pitiwazou's tutorials and some Guerilla render , it gives me good impression about it.

Last edited by Mareck (2013-12-19 21:59:15)

Windows 7 - Blender 2.69
I7 3770k - GTX 580 3Go - 8Go ddr3 - SSD 120Go

#2 2013-12-19 22:21:25

pitiwazou

Re: Guerilla GPU ?

Guerilla is only cpu, you can use the progressive rendering to do like cycles to configure your render.

Cycles is really good, but for big scenes, you need lot of ram on your CG, so a render like Guerilla use the PC's ram.
Of course on cycles you can use the CPU mode.

Guerilla is for movies, series, cycles is for images still, little movies.

The member to blame ! ^^
Cédric Lepiller, Freelance 3D
http://www.pitiwazou.com/

#3 2013-12-19 22:49:22

Mareck

Thanks Pitiwazou

You said that "Guerilla is for movies" and "Cycles for still images".
What does the difference?
I'm principally doing still images for architecture.
Do you think Guerilla isn't good (or not appropriate) for that?

Sinon est ce qu'il y a un principe sur l'utilisation du français ou de l'anglais sur le site?

Windows 7 - Blender 2.69

#4 2013-12-19 23:50:49

pitiwazou

Anglais pour que tout le monde puisse comprendre ce qui se dit !

Sinon, oui je te conseille cycles pour plusieurs raisons, d'abord la rapidité, ensuite sheep it pour les grosses image et la renderfarm.
Enfin pour sa simplicité.

Avec Guerilla tu pourras faire pareil et bien plus grâce au rendergraph, mais c'est plus un moteur de prod que d'image fixe.

The member to blame ! ^^

#5 2013-12-20 12:15:04

Gam

Hi Mareck

In production we needs a scalable renderer, flexible and powerful to manage huge scenes with million polygons with a lot of assets and uber shader.

This fact is for now impossible with a gpu renderer.

Of course You are able to create architecture's stuff. But Guerilla is not the most suitable tool for that.

Cheers

By the way. Please reply in English.

Last edited by Gam (2013-12-20 12:19:17)

#6 2013-12-20 17:23:04

Mareck

Ok thanks for the infos
So i will continu to search a more suitable renderer.

Windows 7 - Blender 2.69

#7 2014-01-02 11:03:00

MattRM

Hi all,

At first, Happy New Year !!!

This fact is for now impossible with a gpu renderer.

False... Octane render provide clouds for that, also, some product from Nvidia can do this with 192 Gb-Vram. If you have time, you can get a linux that support cloud computing libraries for gpu and build your own renderfarm GPU. But yes, unbiased render for movies, like Maxwell and Octane are not enought mature at the moment. But Octane with maya or blender plugins (I have this one) can solve some vfx shot with no problems with some passes but less powerfull than Guerilla.

But yes, Guerilla is first design and think for movies / series and works well for that.

Matt

PS : check Octane Render for architecture, now support alembic and motion blur in input.

#8 2014-01-02 11:31:08

hulud
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Are you sure Maxwell is GPU accelerated ? I think the render itself is full CPU.

Speaking about GPU rendering, did I already mention that CPUs and GPUs will converge someday ?

Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier
Guerilla developer
http://www.mercs-eng.com

#9 2014-01-02 15:56:09

pixo

"The main change is that Knights Landing will be a standalone processor, rather than a slot-in coprocessor"
Yeah

#10 2014-01-02 18:54:58

MattRM

When Nvidia and Intel will be make a cpu, will be powerfull !!!

Yes, Maxwell is cpu but not so flexible for movie production to tricks wink
Good article the Knights Landing !!!

Matt

#11 2014-01-07 00:22:51

Narann

hulud :

Speaking about GPU rendering, did I already mention that CPUs and GPUs will converge someday ?

And so we could finally get rid of the bus limitation for everything that need a GPU (Not only renderer). Like a video game console I guess.

I just wonder what would be the implications on APIs (OpenGL/CL) which are thinked to work in a "two step" (Send the data then Compute the data). Wait and see but I wait for this since looooooong time. smile

#12 2014-01-08 11:08:08

hulud

It looks like the next xeon phi generation will be a standard CPU with 72 cores (*4 threads per core) with AVX 3 (16 floats). For us, it means it should work with the standard pthread API and our SIMD code base. The only issue, and a big one, is to scale the renderer up to 300 threads which is an interesting challenge..

Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier
Guerilla developer
http://www.mercs-eng.com

#13 2018-03-01 14:07:25

pitiwazou

Hi guys,

Since solutions like redshift (only GPU) seems to be used more and more, have you any intention to make guerilla GPU compatible?
You already said me GPU was not good for big productions but it seems that this is changing with out of core render engine like Redshift.
Even arnold is trying to have a GPU compatibility.
So, maybe you are considéring this.

The member to blame ! ^^

#14 2018-03-01 14:35:55

Narann

pitiwazou :

You already said me GPU was not good for big productions but it seems that this is changing with out of core render engine like Redshift.

It's not changing that much. GPU is still not good for "big" production.

It depends what you think by "big production" but the more you have "stuff" (triangles, textures, etc.) the less GPU is efficient. Actually, the GPU efficiently decrease quickly as soon you have few GB scene.

The question is most: "Do you guys plan to support "tiny" (in term of complexity) productions with a GPU fallback for Guerilla".

The problem with this is you have to support two renderer (and both must have the same behavior), with GPU beeing a PITA because of how much troubles users will face as soon as they reach a certain complexity limit.

My 2 cents.

#15 2018-03-01 18:22:48

Ben

Hi Pitiwazou,

Narann has quite the answer.

We're sure considering supporting GPU at some point, at least for asset prototyping/lookdeving. Rendering large scenes on a GPU (here large means more than what a GPU can handle in memory) is tricky, and just like Narann said, performances will fall down to what can be expected from a decent CPU.

But yes, we're investigating GPU support.

Ben

Benjamin 'Ben' Legros
Guerilla developer
http://www.guerillarender.com

#16 2018-03-01 19:52:40

pitiwazou

ok ^^

The member to blame ! ^^

Board footer