Forum

#1 2018-11-21 20:00:13

bigvalyeti

ZBrush displacement seams

Hi there,

I have a problem that I can’t figure out a solution.
I’m trying to apply a detail displacement map from ZBrush to Guerilla.
So I’ve tried every settings on the multi map exporter and exported dozens of different .exr maps
that I loaded into a displacement shader ( I also add an atttibute node subdividing the model and setting the displacement method)
Everythkng works fine but when I set the displacement in the attribute node to “displacement + bump
Which is the setting I want, the seams of my UV islands show up and I can’t get rid of it.
The only solution I found was to set the node to “displacement  only, but I wanna keep the setting above.
Does anyone has a solution to get rid of these annoying seams !!!!!

#2 2018-11-21 20:46:07

doubleailes
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

Re: ZBrush displacement seams

Hi bigvalyeti,

Can you share with us your map, your model, a screenshot of zbrush?

thanks.

Philippe Llerena

#3 2018-11-22 10:03:50

bigvalyeti

Hi Philippe.

Here is a problem with a simple cube but maybe its just a topology problem with this model
Let me know
https://we.tl/t-450sLrINIK

Thank you

Cheers

#4 2018-11-22 10:05:02

bigvalyeti

simple cylinder my bad

#5 2018-11-22 14:28:14

doubleailes
Guerilla dev, the guy to hug

HI bigvalyeti,

I had a look at your files. IMHO:
First your object is really a low poly object, except special case in production we do not use more than 3 subdiv on our assets.
And my genreal advice, has recent path tracer renderer like guerilla are really goot to handle a lots of polygons to only use displacement for characters or deform assets. Keep in mind, your hi poly or you low poly with as subdiv of 6 ( to get the detail as high poly) would be the same size in your RAM.

You are hitting the limit of 1 dimension displacement. The discontinuity of the edge would give you hard times.
Try the vector displace instead for this cases.

But with unboxing Smooth ST you would get a closer image from you zbrush reference.
https://i.imgur.com/aTzsjMo.png

Philippe Llerena

#6 2018-11-22 21:07:27

bigvalyeti

Thanks a lot Philippe!
That’s really really helpful!
Yeah we’re actually working on a student short movie and we were having these kind of problem on a character .

Board footer